Lost

When I graduated high school all I could think of was starting university. I was under the impression that that was what you do after, you finish one thing and then start the next. Coming from a family of educated parents, one being a professor, I had always thought that school was the only option. September came and I started school. I found myself dragging myself to each class, struggling to stay focused during lectures and consistently questioning why I was taking these courses. Pages and pages of photo’s constantly flooded my social media; it seemed like all of my friends had chosen to travel post secondary. One night, while chatting with my mom, she asked me point blank why I had chosen to go to school. I didn’t have an answer for her. It was that moment that I realized continuing my education after high school didn’t have to mean going to university. I could continue my education through experiencing life. I worked, spent time with family and started to learn about myself. It’s through that that I discovered what I wanted to do. Two years after my first attempt at university I returned, this time entering into the Early Childhood Education program. I could tell from the first class that this was what I was meant to be doing. It was no longer a struggle to attend class. I found myself absorbing the information my professors were giving me. Once graduating the program I took a look back and realized that although I thought I was ready for university right out of high school, I wasn’t. Only after taking some time to discover myself, what my passion in life was and what I genuinely enjoyed doing was I truly ready to learn.